A Complete Guide for Migration From Magento 1 to Magento 2
In this digital era, having your own business website is very vital. It’s very important to attract a large audience to your website. The website must be flexible enough and enhances its performance conversely. There are numerous platforms which help to develop the website such as Joomla, Shopify, etc. Among all Magento is considered to be a very efficient platform.
Magento is an open-source e-commerce platform. It has powerful tools for managing catalogs. It encompasses a good in-built search engine that provides a good management system with backup. There are different versions of Magento that marks excellence in the previous years.
We have examined Magento 2 and the statistics says that:
- There are 168,804 Magento customers.
- 119,216, websites are there that are using Magento 2
- 49,094 live websites as of now.
- Magento is the second most popular e-commerce platform.
Check out the below table to find the setbacks of Magento 1. It is said that Magento 1 is supporting till 30th June, 2020. Users who did not migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 would not get any security updates.
Some of the leading e-commerce businesses like Land Rover, Sally Hansen, Byredo, Fred Perry, Paul Smith, Brewshop and many more migrated to Magento 2. The reason for migration is that they want to be at the peak of their businesses. A content management system without any liability is unprotected. With the accumulation of an increase in web skimming attacks, all the web stores will face the risk of getting infected or attacked with code that can steal the customer details.
Moreover, they want to change their destiny and be thriving. They are embracing the change in their business and they do not want to leave the things tomorrow.
Benefits for Magento 2 Migration
Some business decision-makers feel that the migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2 would make a significant difference. The primary reason behind the willingness to upgrade from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is that it is like moving from bottom to top that could make a difference in the long run.
Let’s get started and look at some significant benefits of Magento 2 migration :
# Enhanced Security
The primary factor to be considered in Magento 2 is security. Magento 2 focuses on high safety and more business handling. The main aim of the Magento 2 is to secure the confidential details of the user and offering a long checkout process. The new version importantly improves the requirements of e-commerce business security.
There are different ways you can witness the intensify security by migrating to Magento 2:
* Two-factor authentication: With the incredible feature of the additional layer of protection, Magento 2 is providing the authentication extension.
* Password security: Magento 2 is providing password security with the password management system. Magento 2 is using the SHA-256 algorithm.
* Backup plan: The Backup plan is the ultimate need of any business. Magento 2 provides a backup plan for any e-commerce business. Business owners have accurate backup Magento files by downloading them in FTP Client. Magento 2 guarantees that the eCommerce store does not get hacked or crashed with any interference.
* Unique admin URL: Magento 2 provides security in the business by providing the security scan tool. It offers a strong security layer so that it will get protected from any patch or hack.
* Magento tool development environment: It makes the development procedure flexible, faster, easier and simple with Magento dev box data. This is another development environmental option.
# Improved Scalability and Performance
Magento 2 always performs better than Magento 1 in every manner. It goes along with the improved indexer that helps to increase the performance speed. Moreover, Magento 2 uses Varnish Cache. The important HTTP accelerator technology makes it simple to cache requests
Magento 2 makes it simple to use for more than one admin to create as well as edit eCommerce products’ information without any data interference in Magento 2. Magento 2 has enhanced scalability and performance because :
- It improves the proficiency of backend operations.
- It improves the server response item.
- It improves the quality of the webpage; they deliver it very fast.
# Improved Checkout Process
Magento 2 eliminates the login and registration form that is required for users to complete the checkout process. It provides an approach to recognize visitors as their guests. Magento 2 also uses the integrated payment method into the checkout process. It uses a simple yet effective approach.
There are numerous payment methods available such as Paypal, Braintree, etc. an individual can use its particular favored payment method with a checkout platform. It also provides the order of your summary of your shipping information. It enhances the customer experience.
# Advanced Reporting
Reporting is very crucial when it comes to succeeding in the e-commerce business. Magento 2 offers 20 reports to the web interface. This feature is located in Magento 2 admin. It adds value to three elements and gives you the vision in three areas:
- Customer: Registered accounts of the customer
- Product: Number of products ordered and the number of products sold.
- Order: The number of requests, AOV, Shipping fee, and taxes collected.
# Mobile Friendly
Magento 2 is very mobile-friendly. Magento 2 has a highly responsive design for perfect checkout experience to its customers. Magento is accessible on a touchscreen that makes it easy to deal with your store via tablet or mobile phone.
Making your website mobile-friendly will surely engage customers. Practicing this exceptional feature, the website becomes easily accessible irrespective of the device.
Key Components for Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration
Magento 2 updated version includes 3 key elements for its migration:
By supporting the Magento 2 tool, e-commerce can create a path for moving data to Magento 2 without dropping any packet in between. Data transfer is the time-consuming process. So, it is crucial to think about some significant factors before hiring any developer.
There are some factors to be considered before hiring any developer. Know your requirements, find certified Magento developers,Ask for the company’s portfolio, Easy access to trained resources,. Quality vs. Cost, Post-development support are some of them.
The Magento community has already approved and updated the major extensions for Magento 2. The most significant thing is that the extensions are readily available in the Magento marketplace. The following is the list of extensions available in Magento 2:
- Customer Segmentation
- Abandoned Cart Email
- SEO Suite Ultimate
# Themes and Customization Process
To achieve the highest level of optimization, changes to themes and customizations are required. The new innovative technologies are designed to give eCommerce business a boost and merchants the ability to customize the experience of shopping and deliver performance in turn. The following is the list of themes available in Magento 2:
- Minimalism Theme.
- Rope Responsive Theme.
- Modern Print Store Theme
- Instagram Theme.
- Couture Fashion Responsive Theme.
The Magento 1 to Magento 2 Transfer Process
To avoid issues and migrate successfully, it is crucial that you go through thoroughly plan and test your migration. The following steps of the workflow followed for the much-talked-about Magento upgrade. An expert Magento Developer can create a customized path to pave the way to a successful migration.
Step 1: Magento 2 instance
- Download Magento 2 from https://magento.com/tech-resources/download without the sample data.
- Extract the downloaded data and follow some steps to install the performance.
- After setting up Magento 2 you have an empty database.
- After this data is migrated to Magento 2 instance.
Step 2: Data Migration Tool
The next step is to migrate data from Magento 1 to Magento 2. You can easily use Magento data migration tool for a smooth migration. With the help of data migration tool, you can easily transfer critical data such as products, orders, categories, configuration and store settings, etc. to Magento 2.
Step 3: Install Data Migration Tool via Composer
Before installation of this tool, ensure that version of both– Data Migration tool and Magento 2 are the same. For example, if you are using Magento v2.1.1, you must install the Data Migration Tool v2.1.1.
Don’t know your Magento version?
1. Firstly go through to the root directory of your Magento 2 via SSH terminal and enter this command:
php bin/Magento –version
2. Now, that you know the version of your Magento 2 then store installs the Data Migration Tool.
Here, <version> is your Data Migration Tool version. For example, for Data Migration tool for Magento v2.1.1. You will have to replace <version> with 2.1.1
Composer require magento/data-migration-tool:2.1.1
3. After this, enter your authentication keys
Go to Magento Marketplace > Sign in > Click on My Access Keys
Note: If you already have keys, the public key will be your username and the private key is your password.you can create a new key pair. Click on “Create a New Access Key Button.”
Step 4: Configure Data Migration Tool
After the installation process, you can also find the directories to contain configuration and mapping files for the Data Migration Tool:
<Magento 2 root dir>/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ce-to-ee
This includes configuration and scripts for migrating from Magento 1 Community Edition to Magento 2 Enterprise Edition.
For Magento 1 Enterprise Edition to Magento 2 Enterprise Edition, use this command:
<Magento 2 root dir>/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ee-to-ee
Note: Before migration of any data and settings, create a config.xml file in the relevant directory.
- <database host=“localhost” name=“Magento1-DB-name” user=“DB-username” password=“DB-password” />
- <database host=“localhost” name=”Magento2-DB-name” user=“DB-username” password=“DB-password” />
- <source> : has Magento 1’s database information
- <destination> : has relevant information of Magento 2
- <crypt_key> : encryption key of Magento 1 which can be found in <key> tag for <Magento 1 rootdir>/app/etc/local.xml file.
- In last, save config.xml file
Step 5: Migrate Settings
Data Migration Tool helps to migrate settings from Magento 1 to Magento 2. Data migration tool includes websites, stores, system configurations like tax settings, payment, shipping, etc. You should migrate the setting first. To start with that, navigate to your Magento 2 root directory via SSH terminal and run this command:
php bin/Magento migrate:settings –reset <path to your config.xml>
Step 6: Migrate Data
To migrate products, orders, wish lists, customers, categories, ratings, etc. follow this command:
php bin/Magento migration: data –reset <path to your config.xml>
If in case, there is an error during the migration refer to the troubleshooting page.
Magento is running thousands of sites already; this is your time to make this right decision. It is a step that will make the entire eCommerce experience the best and easiest one for the users and the business alike.
This change is unavoidable!!
Instead, reach out to the Magento development experts who can assist you with Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration owing to their technical background.
After all, it is better to take the step today than tomorrow!!
Above we have discussed benefits, reasons, steps of migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2 version.
After the process has been completed, run a test to assure the functioning of Magento 2.
Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is not an easy task but it is not complicated, though!! For hassle-free and safe migration, you can hire us!!
Thank you for reading!!